Friday, November 29, 2013

What can be done?

A few weeks ago Virginia Senator Creigh Deeds’ son Austin was allegedly not admitted to a psychiatric facility because of lack of beds.  The next day he stabbed his father and committed suicide.  Senator Deeds is now blaming the Community Services Board and basically the lack of help available to those in need. 

When I first heard this story, I was not exactly shocked.  I don’t know if it is the desensitization from constantly hearing incidents like this on every type of media, but I just wasn't shocked.  What I was shocked about, however, is the fact that someone who I would think of as pretty well off, could not get the help his son needed.  Granted, his son was over 18 and the emergency custody order expired from what I understand, but it just seems that it should have been easier for him to get help.  And if it is difficult for him to get help, what about all of the people who do not have the financial means to try to get help?  Don’t get me wrong, I am not in any way saying that he should have been able to get help simply because of who his father is.  But if that doesn't even help then it seems completely unfair to those who do not have parents who can help them.

Something is seriously lacking in our mental health system.  I read another story about a lady in Virginia whose daughter has bipolar disorder.  She is worried about when the time comes and her daughter is 14, and they will then need an emergency order to have her daughter hospitalized if needed.  I can’t imagine the difficult times and decisions these families must face on a daily basis.

I’m not sure what the answers to these problems are, but something is seriously lacking in our mental health system.  Perhaps there is way more behind the Senator Deeds story, but either way, his son needed help and did not receive it in time.  So many people are in that same position.  According to the NAMI website, about 90% of those who die by suicide have a diagnosable mental health disorder. 


Stigma and all other barriers aside, what do you think could be changed to help make services more available?  

1 comment:

  1. I agree, it is a problem. I would argue that it is not isolated to only the mental health industry -- rather it is a proble of the larger medical system. I think that a combination of protocol for handling health insurance claims and lawsuits has led to a system that values the process more than actually helping people. Whether you are looking for psych evaluation or medical exam, you will get the runaround before you actually get into an office. Sadly, with medical problems, many people are just opting to visit the emergency room for non-emergency issues since, by law, someone is required to see them immediately. Not sure how it is with mentail health, but I assume it is similar.

    ReplyDelete