Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Are Juvenile Offenders Just Slipping Through the Cracks?

In my first post I talked about adolescents and mental health.  In my papers this semester I also researched the presence of mental health disorders and substance use disorders in juvenile offenders.  I think this is an important topic to understand, as there are a large proportion of juvenile offenders who have a disorder, or even co-occurring disorders, and many do not receive the appropriate (or any) treatment for these disorders.

The National Alliance on Mental Illness has a fact sheet about juvenile offenders, which to me, is eye-opening when 70% of juvenile offenders have a mental health disorder.  Another very interesting article that I found was actually on another blog that summarizes a study done.  This study researched the risk of offending and rearrests with mental disorders, and also with substance use disorders.  I found it fascinating that the study found there is no a direct causation between mental health disorder such as anxiety or ADHD and the risk of offending.  

The study was done more recently than many of the other research available, and to me it leaves even more questions than before.  If mental health disorders are not necessarily related to juveniles becoming involved in the justice system, then why do so many meet the requirements for a diagnosable illness? 
I think availability of treatment is a factor; not only can it be expensive (especially if a prescription is needed), but some community centers are not equipped for serving everybody in a timely manner, or the locations aren't convenient, or it simply takes a very long time to even get an initial appointment. Lack of family support could also be a factor.

I also believe that somewhere along the way, these adolescents are slipping through the cracks.  Someone somewhere should notice something and offer up solutions, but I suppose if they are not even treated for their disorders when they enter the juvenile justice system, it is not surprising that something was not done before.

What are your opinions on the high rate of juveniles in the justice system with mental health and substance use disorders?  Any ideas as to what could be done to improve the numbers?  Tell me what you think!! 

4 comments:

  1. I would have to say that it is disturbing, the rate of recidivism in juvenile offenders and how it corresponds to mental health. I think it speaks to a larger, systemic issue, that is similar to the criminalization of drugs as well. In my blog, I discuss similar institutional problems in the justice system, in terms of the criminalization of homeless populations. there is certainly something to be said about the way we as a society neglect to help those in need and instead just lock them up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not surprised that 70% have a mental health illness. I have family members who have been through juvenile court and I've seen their living conditions with their families. It's hard, and treatment is hard without money or health insurance even. Its a sad topic, and I think out government should take time to try and make a change in this system.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I definitely see this as a systematic problem, I also think that demographic make up should be looked at among juveniles within the justice system because may have families that cannot afford health insurance or may come from harsh living conditions and go unnoticed amongst family members. I think institutionally there should be programs for these youth within the system to help them through their illness or give some support.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mohamed- I agree with you! I am going to check out your blog!
    Arielle- It did not surprise me much either, but it doesn't make it any less disheartening for me. I think a huge change in the system could have a great impact. While it may not make a huge reduction in crime, everyone who wants treatment for mental illness should receive it, I think it should be treated with as much urgency as physical illness.
    Shanice- I agree, there should be programs in place within the system, but I wish we could be more proactive so many would (hopefully) not even end up involved with the system.

    ReplyDelete