Sunday, November 3, 2013

Mental Health and Adolescents...Why is it Important?

Adolescence is a time of significant changes, from searching for identities to major biophysical changes; cognitive development to peer pressure.  These changes can be confusing to some adolescents, especially when their mental health is not, well, healthy. 
Not only do many mental health disorders first present themselves during adolescence, but about 20% of adolescents have a diagnosable mental health disorder.  The NCCP (National Center for Children in Poverty) has found that existing disorders may even worsen as a child transitions into adolescence. 
There are many disadvantages to anyone not seeking appropriate mental health.  A few of these disadvantages amongst adolescents include poor school performance or even dropping out, substance use, risky sexual behavior, and involvement with the law, just to name a few.
So if the risks and outcomes of mental health disorders in adolescents are known, why is there not more prevention?  Clearly nobody can make someone go to treatment and really get something out of it, but what about those who want treatment and cannot receive it?  Adolescent suicide seems to be a growing problem, especially with the increased bullying (which is like throwing gasoline into a fire of someone who is already depressed to begin with) that we constantly hear about in the news. 
Wouldn’t it make more sense, as a society, to be more proactive with mental health?  The first speculation about school shooters or shooters in general, is always what was their mental health like?  More often than not, their mental health was not, well, healthy.  Which leads to mental health disorders getting a bad rap, which possibly leads to more people who need mental health services to not seek them, which could in turn lead to more suicides and violence…phew…

So, what could be done in order to lessen the stigma for mental health disorders?  Why is it so bad to talk about these disorders in our society?  Would required mental health screenings in schools be helpful?  Ethical?  Tell me what you think!    

6 comments:

  1. It's so hard because of that specific stigma on mental health that you speak of. My mom has depression and she is so sure that her mother and brother do too, but they will never admit it. They don't even acknowledge that she has it. I think it's difficult for people to understand mental illness if they don't have it themselves or know someone close to them that does. While I think it would be smart for kids to get screened for mental illness, because it does go unnoticed, I think it would be bad in the school environment for adolescents due to their fear of affecting their peer status. I hope this stigma changes in society because it really is important to catch mental illness before it leads to suicide.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The stigma for mental health disorders have been around for a long time. In our society it seems to be hard to talk about these disorders because of the judgement most people think they will get. It would seems helpful to get children or teens to be screened for any mental health issues but it would also be hard to go about it. What if the parents do not want their children to be screened? It would then be unethical to screen these children even teens to these mental health screens. I agree with Shelby that I hope one day people can change their views on mental health. Instead of taking so much time stigmatizing it they will find solutions or ways of helping those who need it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Treating mental illnesses I feel like hasn't been completely accepted in our society. There are still so many jokes about seeking help, even if a person is unaware about whether or not they have a mental illness. Still it's a serious subject if a person does suffer from a mental illness and it goes unnoticed. I wouldn't exactly recommend mental screenings at school, however I think alongside physicals and checkups with doctors they should offer some type of screening for children. That way it isn't exactly publicized at school where kids would have to worry about peer status or anything, it would be something between the child, the doctors, and with consent the parents also.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was watching CNN and about how stigma on mental illness has become an issue. There is a blog post named "I am Adam Lanza's Mother" and it is something I feel everyone should read. There should be more education towards mental illness among the general public. There should be acceptance towards people and realize that they need help not exclusion. I am not sure what the solution is but I do know the first step is acceptance.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mental illnesses is such an interesting topic to me. I wrote a research paper about it in my junior year of high school. I think it is sad that those who have mental illness are shunned from society. Adolescents go through so many difficult situations and if they are showing signs of mental illnesses, people should be able to reach out and help them. Or there should be more programs in schools to provide information on what mental illnesses is. I agree with Chie Hurt that a lot of people do not really understand it, therefore, they don't address it. Maybe, required screenings of mental illnesses is a huge step and would probably upset a lot of people. However, if more programs are being offered in schools to give information on mental illness, then more people would learn about it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What can be done about mental illness and stigma is to educate people early. A lot of why there is stigma for so many things is because the person may not have any information on the certain disorders. And it is important to bring the disorder to light. One of the reasons of why it may seem bad to talk about it in our society because most people are told to believe that those diagnosed with mental health are not fit for society's standards anymore. The idea of mental health screenings sounds smart, but it should not be invasive, that would be controversial. It would be completely sensible and ethical to have a psychologist come in for certain periods of time and just ask how the students are doing.

    ReplyDelete